Sunday, February 15, 2015

Ruby Eliza Reid Barlow


The most memorable thing I remember about Grandma Barlow is that her birthday was on Valentine's Day. Every year on Valentine's Day, even to this day, I still think about Grandma Barlow and how her birthday was on this day. As a child, I have fond memories of our family driving up to Salt Lake to visit her on her birthday. She would have dishes of Valentine's Day candy out on the living room tables for us to enjoy. She would smile and give us hugs as we wished her a Happy Birthday and a Happy Valentine's Day! 
I feel fortunate to have known Grandma Ruby Eliza Reid Barlow for the first eleven years of my life. She was alone for eight of those years as Grandpa Willard Elmer Barlow passed away when I was three years-old. Their cute home was in a beautiful part of Salt Lake with large trees lining the streets. Their yard was beautifully landscaped. I remember walking in their front door and immediately drawn to the large deer head that was hung near the pantry down the hall. I remember thinking how old-fashioned her kitchen seemed to me with old appliances and lacy doilies, yet it was very clean and tidy. I loved the smells and warmth felt by Grandma Barlow. I still remember her laugh. I enjoyed her candy dishes! I remember being fascinated with the confectionery Sweetheart candies she had with sayings on them such as "Kiss Me", "Be Mine", and "Call Me"!

No comments:

Post a Comment